
Aroldis Chapman on His Future With Red Sox Beyond 2026 Season: 'I’m Very Comfortable Here' originally appeared on NESN. Add NESN as a Preferred Source by clicking here.
Aroldis Chapman made his pro debut in 2010, using a lethal fastball to intimidate the opposition. It’s been 16 years since his first appearance with the Reds, and the current Red Sox closer continues to thrive in his second year in Boston.
Could the hard-throwing Cuban, who signed a contract extension in August 2025, return to Boston following the 2026 season? If he had his way, a reunion would be welcomed with open arms.
Chapman spent six years with the Reds and was traded in 2016 between the Yankees and Cubs before returning to New York for six seasons. Since 2023, he played for the Royals, Rangers and Pirates before settling down with the Red Sox.
Consistency is key, and that’s what Chapman is looking for at 38.
“I hope so. I’m a little bit tired of going team to team, so I hope so… Like I always say, (I’ll pitch) until a team doesn’t want me anymore. If I can be here, I’ll be here. If they don’t want me here, I’ll go home,” Chapman said via MassLive when asked about finishing his career with the Red Sox.
Aroldis Chapman-Red Sox contract details
Chapman signed a one-year, $10.75 million contract with the Red Sox in December 2024. He was in a battle with the likes of Liam Hendriks for the closer role, but he earned it right away.
In 2025, Chapman, an All-Star for the eighth time in his career, went 5-3 with a 1.17 ERA, striking out 85 batters and earning 32 saves. Chapman ranked seventh in Cy Young voting and 18th in MVP voting, the first time he received high numbers for both since 2012.
In the middle of that season, Chapman signed a $13.3 million contract extension for 2026. It included an option for 2027. Reaching 40 innings locks in a return with no qualifiers. It’s something he is considering.
“That was the agreement that we came up with last year,” Chapman said. “On the personal side, I just want to keep working, getting the job done and trying to help the team win. After that, we’ll see what happens.”
Aroldis Chapman’s historic 2026 campaign
Chapman put his name in the history books during the 2026 season. In July, he passed Hoyt Wilhelm for the most career strikeouts by a reliever (1,364), doing so with a 99 mph fastball.
While he no longer throws above 103 mph, his fastball sits around 97-98 with occasional strikes at 100 mph. An All-Star this year, Chapman struck out 17 batters in July, during which the Red Sox won 15 straight. He’s saved 27 of 29 games and has a 2.04 ERA.
Once considered a trade candidate, Chapman remains a key part of the Red Sox’s postseason plans. With receivers like Edwin Diaz, Devin Williams, and more securing big contracts, Chapman believes the Red Sox could be the team he spends the rest of his career with.
“At this stage of my career, I’m very comfortable here and happy here,” Chapman said. “At this stage, I’d rather have that than (to go) somewhere else for more money where I might not be comfortable, or I might be comfortable. I didn’t want to test that, and I wanted to stay here for two years.”
Aroldis Chapman stats 2026
(Current as of Aug. 13)
| Category | Stat |
| Games | 41 |
| Innings pitched | 39.2 |
| W-L | 2-4 |
| ERA | 2.04 |
| Saves | 27 |
| Strikeouts | 50 |
| Walks | 18 |