BCCI to meet chief selector Ajit Agarkar for contract extension talks amid differences over Rohit Sharma's future - report originally appeared on Cricket News. Add Cricket News as a Preferred Source by clicking here. KEY TAKEAWAYS:
BCCI officials plan to meet chief selector Ajit Agarkar after the Sri Lanka series to discuss a contract extension. The talks come amid tension between selectors and the board over Rohit Sharma's future in the ODI squad. Sharma's century at Lord's may have swayed opinion in his favour despite selectors wanting to move on from him.
BCCI to hold talks with Ajit Agarkar for a one-year extension as chief selector A behind-the-scenes tussle over Rohit Sharma's ODI future has reportedly set the stage for a crucial sit-down between the BCCI and its chief selector, with Ajit Agarkar's own job now tangled up in the same conversation. According to the Indian Express, the top brass of the board will sit down with Agarkar once India's two-Test series against Sri Lanka wraps up, to thrash out whether he gets a one-year extension in charge of the selection committee. Agarkar completes three years as selection committee chairman this September, and under BCCI rules, he's eligible for one more year at the helm. But the timing of this meeting isn't a coincidence, and it follows a clear rift between the selectors and the board over how Rohit's international career should be handled going forward. MORE: 'Got the ability': Is Manav Suthar the solution to India's all-Rounder crisis vs. Sri Lanka in Galle? What's the disagreement between BCCI & selection committee over Rohit Sharma's future? The selectors had reportedly told Rohit directly that they planned to move on from him once the white-ball series in England wrapped up. But BCCI secretary Devajit Saikia told a different story to the press, saying Rohit "will continue to represent the country as long as he is in the scheme of things". It was a comment that landed awkwardly given what the selectors had already communicated to the player himself. The IE report mentions that the BCCI now wants selectors to judge Rohit's place series by series, keeping the door open right up until the 2027 ODI World Cup rather than making a clean break now. That's reportedly left the selection panel frustrated, especially since Saikia's remarks came right after they'd informed Sharma of their decision. Rohit wants to keep playing ODIs; the selectors, working alongside the team management, preferred handing the opening slot to Yashasvi Jaiswal once the England tour finished. MORE: 'Tough Call': Gill addresses Brar vs Krishna selection dilemma ahead of 1st SL Test
[BCCI/Creimas]
How did Rohit Sharma respond to the speculation of being dropped? After managing just 11 and 26 in the first two ODIs at Birmingham and Cardiff, he responded with a commanding 138 in the third match at Lord's on July 19. Around that time, he reportedly held talks with senior BCCI officials during the England series and made his displeasure with the selectors' call fairly clear. That century, combined with his conversation with a top board official, appears to have shifted things. The report mentions that Sharma could now find himself back in the squad for the upcoming home series against the West Indies, which is a reversal that would sit uneasily with the selectors' original plan. Some reports also claim that it was the selection committee's decision to strip Rohit of captaincy and hand Shubman Gill the captaincy in Tests and ODIs. The BCCI has previously indicated it wants Agarkar to stay in the role through to the 2027 World Cup, but that possibility now allegedly hinges on how this meeting plays out. MORE: India’s Test return vs Sri Lanka comes with plenty of questions A messy disagreement that didn't need to happen This entire situation reflects poorly on India's cricket administration, regardless of which side turns out to be right about Sharma's future. Having a top board official publicly contradict a senior player's status is the kind of thing that should get resolved internally, not play out through conflicting statements to the press. If the board genuinely wants a series-by-series approach for senior players heading into 2027, that's a reasonable enough policy, but it needed to be agreed upon with the selectors before Sharma was informed of anything. The upcoming Agarkar meeting now carries far more weight than a routine contract renewal. It's really about whether the board and its own selection committee can get back on the same page before this disagreement causes any more damage to team harmony or public confidence in how these decisions get made. To keep up to date with all the latest cricket news and share your opinion on the biggest topics visit ourFacebook, Instagram and X (Twitter) pages.
