PEKIN, Ill. (WMBD/WYZZ) -- Pekin is healthy, experienced and ready for the 2026 football season. Coach Doug Nutter says he has about 115 players in his program but most importantly 13 returning starters from his 2025 playoff squad. The Dragons bring back seven offensive starters and six defensive starters from a 5-5 playoff team that battled injuries all year. Most significant may have been losing star wide receiver Dylan Anderson to a season-ending knee injury in the second week of the season. Anderson is back. So are Bray Kormah and Keyshawn Walker giving the Dragon a dangerous receiving group. "We didn't expect this last year, for sure, with the team we had. We had a lot of great seniors last year. Just with the adversity we went through with all those injuries, it really built a great team for this year," said returning lineman Ryder Yancey. "We have a lot of experience, playing high level football, with a whole bunch of great mentors, as well." Senior Matthew Stropes, who suffered a knee injury as a sophomore, moves into the starting quarterback role following the graduation of Brogan Benassi. And he'll have returning running back Chase Kruger in his backfield. The Dragons say the experience of the returning players has been on display in August preseason camp. "I see the improvement from Day 1," said Kormah. "With the injuries last year, a lot of people got extra reps and go more experience with the playbook. All of them are confident this year." Pekin opens the season at home against Plainfield South on Aug. 21.
Copyright 2026 Nexstar Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. For the latest news, weather, sports, and streaming video, head to CIProud.com.
