BOSTON — The Diamondbacks’ Ketel Marte will be returning to Arizona to undergo an MRI on his left knee, a source said on Tuesday, Aug. 18. It comes a day after Marte did not show up to Fenway Park for the Diamondbacks’ game against the Boston Red Sox and was placed on the restricted list. Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo said after the game Marte was dealing with a “personal issue.” Marte has been dealing with knee discomfort for at least the past few days. He was scratched from the lineup in Atlanta over the weekend because of the knee. It is unclear how the knee fits into what happened on Monday.
Marte traveled with the team to Boston on Sunday, Aug. 16, but Lovullo said communication was sparse on Monday, saying "there wasn't a lot coming back" from Marte in terms of explanation. The 32-year-old Marte had been expected to serve as the designated hitter. Players can be placed on the restricted list for "personal, legal or non-baseball reasons," according to MLB.com. It is unclear whether the Diamondbacks will use the option to hold back pay since Marte is on the restricted list. Marte was also placed on the restricted list last season when he was away from the team following the burglary of his Scottsdale home. At the time, Marte spent a couple of extra days after the All-Star break in his native Dominican Republic and missed two games. Marte later apologized for his handling of the situation. After Monday night's game, Diamondbacks players and officials seemed to walk a line between showing compassion for someone dealing with a personal issue and frustration over his lack of communication. “It’s unfortunate he wasn’t there tonight,” general manager Mike Hazen said. “I’ll leave it at that.” Diamondbacks right fielder Corbin Carroll was asked if he thought the situation created a distraction for the Diamondbacks, whose lineup did not get announced by Major League Baseball until eight minutes before first pitch. “I mean, I think if anything you’re hoping he’s all right and just want to make sure everything is good there,” Carroll said. “Some of us who have maybe spent a little bit more time with him, maybe that was in the back of our minds a little bit. More just out of wanting to be there for the guy.” Said shortstop Geraldo Perdomo: “Everybody has their own personal stuff. At the end of the day, we are a family and we’re going to support everybody no matter what. We came here to play, and that’s the only goal we have is to win some games.” Lovullo was asked if he thought Marte would have fences to mend with teammates once he returns. “I don’t know,” Lovullo said. “That’s a good question. I haven’t got that far. I need a good night’s rest and a glass of wine and to think about that.” Marte is going through a down year offensively. Through 118 games, he is hitting .249 with 21 homers and a .760 OPS. Over the previous three years, he had averaged 29 homers while hitting .283 with an .887 OPS. This article originally appeared on Arizona Republic: Diamondbacks' Ketel Marte returning to Arizona for MRI, source says
