PolicyDrift
City—°AQI —
Trending India
BreakingWorld NewsIndiaSportsBusinessBanking & EconomicsPoliticsMarketsCrypto

Top movers

Live 24/7 Policy Wire

Real-time policy intelligence, without the noise.

Continuous verified updates spanning geopolitics, regulation, and live markets.

Open Live WireTrending Desk
PolicyDrift

Clear, verified reporting. Every report links directly to primary sources.

8 Desks OperationalLive

Global Coverage Desks

BreakingWorld NewsIndiaSportsBusinessBanking & EconomicsPoliticsMarketsCrypto

Platform

  • Global Wire
  • Trending Desk
  • Newsroom Mission
  • Editorial Contact
  • Sitemap

Standards & Legal

  • Editorial Standards
  • Privacy Standards
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Settings

© 2026 PolicyDrift. All rights reserved.

PrivacyTermsCookiesSitemap
POLICYDRIFT
All news
Home/News/Sports
Sports
Aug 13, 2026, 4:24 PM·4 views

Infantino future should be decided by election says African football chief

Confederation of African Football president Patrice Motsepe and FIFA president Gianni Infantino (Paul ELLIS) Confederation of African Football chief Patrice Motsepe says Gianni Infantino's future should only be decided…

PolicyDrift
PolicyDrift
PolicyDriftInfantino future should be decided by election says African football chief

Confederation of African Football president Patrice Motsepe and FIFA president Gianni Infantino (Paul ELLIS) Confederation of African Football chief Patrice Motsepe says Gianni Infantino's.

Confederation of African Football president Patrice Motsepe and FIFA president Gianni Infantino (Paul ELLIS) Confederation of African Football chief Patrice Motsepe says Gianni Infantino's future should only be decided by elections after Ireland became the latest federation to withdraw their support for the embattled FIFA president. Infantino is fighting to save his job after a barrage of criticism for his aborted plan to sell stakes in the World Cup to private investors. The governing bodies of European football (UEFA), North and Central America (CONCACAF) and Asia (AFC) stepped up the pressure on Infantino in a joint letter this week, declaring "trust is broken through deception, when an individual places himself above the collective that entrusted him with authority". It is believed they want to Infantino to resign before he has the chance to seek re-election in March next year. But Motsepe, a FIFA vice-president and CAF president, is adamant Infantino's fate should be decided through the ballot box. "If anybody has got any problem against anybody, whether it's Gianni, whether it is anybody else, follow the process, follow the FIFA process, simple as that," Motsepe told Sky News on Thursday. "If you want to take him out, go for elections; let the 211 member associations decide. Do that and the vote will express whether they've got confidence in him or not. "You've got to be very careful. There are elections taking place next year. Shouldn't we allow that process to continue?" Motsepe was in Salzburg at the UEFA Super Cup on Wednesday to hold talks with UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin, whose organisation are threatening to boycott the World Cup and Club World Cup in protest at Infantino's scheme. "I've heard so many stories about various issues and am careful to pass judgement on anything," Motsepe said. "Everybody has a right to be heard. Let's have a hearing, and a proper forum." CAF had already backed Infantino and Motsepe claimed there was no breach of rules over the World Cup sell-off talks, because the proposals would be submitted to FIFA members for final approval. "There's a lot that's problematic and negative that they have to fix," Motsepe said. "But he has apologised and said maybe there's a different way these things should have been done, but we also take advice." However, there has been no end to the tidal wave of criticism engulfing Infantino. And on Thursday the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) become the latest FIFA member to withdraw its support for Infantino. The English FA and Welsh FA had already withdrawn their backing for the 56-year-old Swiss. "Following an FAI Board Meeting, the decision was taken to rescind the letter of support that the Association supplied earlier this year," the organisation said. "It has since written to FIFA to explain its reasoning. The Association is grateful for the support that FIFA provides to Irish football, but recent events have raised significant concerns regarding governance, transparency and the lack of meaningful consultation." smg/gj

Sports Verified Source

Syndicated via official news feed

Read Full Story on Sports
Explore all Sports stories→

Syndicated feed content with full publisher credit.

Sports Desk

More in Sports

Continue reading verified coverage and related developments on this desk.

View All
PolicyDrift
SPORTS20M AGO

Bess pulls Yorkshire clear of Hants in relegation battle

Dom Bess delivers a first five-wicket haul of the season to hand Yorkshire a crucial victory in their nail-biting County Championship relegation battle with Hampshire.

PolicyDrift
SPORTS40M AGO

Sub Cherki rescues result for Maresca - player ratings for Man City v Bournemouth

How Man City and Bournemouth players rated following their Premier League match.

PolicyDrift
SPORTS43M AGO

Leach five-for sets up Somerset win over Essex

Spinner Jack leach takes 5-81 - and nine wickets in the match - as Somerset beat Essex by eight wickets to regain second place in Championship Division One.

PolicyDrift
SPORTS44M AGO

Manchester Utd midfielder Devaney joins Hibs on loan

Manchester United teenager Jacob Devaney is joining Hibernian on a season-long loan, with the Edinburgh club holding an option to make the move permanent.

PolicyDrift
SPORTS1H AGO

Kane first Englishman to win Germany's player of the year award

Harry Kane has been voted 2026 German footballer of the year, becoming the first Englishman to win the award.

PolicyDrift
SPORTS2H AGO

Holland leads Leics to win over Glamorgan

Skipper Ian Holland takes 5-19 as Leicestershire defeat Glamorgan by 42 runs in County Championship Division One.

More from Sports

Latest developments and reports from the desk

All stories →
PolicyDrift
SPORTS20M AGO

Bess pulls Yorkshire clear of Hants in relegation battle

Dom Bess delivers a first five-wicket haul of the season to hand Yorkshire a crucial victory in their nail-biting County Championship relegation battle with Hampshire.

PolicyDrift
SPORTS40M AGO

Sub Cherki rescues result for Maresca - player ratings for Man City v Bournemouth

How Man City and Bournemouth players rated following their Premier League match.

PolicyDrift
SPORTS43M AGO

Leach five-for sets up Somerset win over Essex

Spinner Jack leach takes 5-81 - and nine wickets in the match - as Somerset beat Essex by eight wickets to regain second place in Championship Division One.

Trending Wire

Most read across all desks

See all
  1. 1
    Banking & Economics• Aug 21, 2026, 9:00 PM

    Bessent dissent

  2. 2
    Banking & Economics• Aug 21, 2026, 10:06 PM

    Trump Widens Beef Imports in Bid to Lower Prices

  3. 3
    Banking & Economics• Aug 21, 2026, 9:37 PM

    Peru GDP Grows a Bit Faster Than Expected in Boost for Fujimori

  4. 4
    India• Aug 19, 2026, 12:16 PM

    Have proof of corruption in erstwhile DMK government, will reveal it when necessary: CM Vijay

  5. 5
    India• Aug 19, 2026, 12:16 PM

    U.S. aircraft and Trump’s Ankara visit | Explained

Breaking desk

Live flash reports elsewhere

  1. BreakingLando Norris denies Antonelli in F1 Dutch GP after Verstappen crashes out of home race

    Aug 23, 2026, 8:58 PM · 0 views

  2. BreakingNorris beats Antonelli to claim final Dutch GP win

    Aug 23, 2026, 8:50 PM · 5 views

  3. BreakingGuéhi and Gvardiol late show earns Manchester City dramatic win against Bournemouth

    Aug 23, 2026, 8:44 PM · 5 views

  4. BreakingHull punished United defence in victory but Carrick’s attack is bigger area of concern | Andrew Beasley

    Aug 23, 2026, 8:37 PM · 5 views

  5. BreakingECB investigating Carse 'nightclub incident'

    Aug 23, 2026, 8:37 PM · 10 views

  6. BreakingThe kindness of strangers: I was a young, solo tourist when a taxi driver became aggressive – then two men stepped in

    Aug 23, 2026, 8:30 PM · 10 views

All breaking news →