PolicyDrift
City—°AQI —
Trending India
BreakingWorld NewsIndiaSportsBusinessBanking & EconomicsPoliticsMarketsCrypto

Top movers

Live 24/7 Policy Wire

Real-time policy intelligence, without the noise.

Continuous verified updates spanning geopolitics, regulation, and live markets.

Open Live WireTrending Desk
PolicyDrift

Clear, verified reporting. Every report links directly to primary sources.

8 Desks OperationalLive

Global Coverage Desks

BreakingWorld NewsIndiaSportsBusinessBanking & EconomicsPoliticsMarketsCrypto

Platform

  • Global Wire
  • Trending Desk
  • Newsroom Mission
  • Editorial Contact
  • Sitemap

Standards & Legal

  • Editorial Standards
  • Privacy Standards
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Settings

© 2026 PolicyDrift. All rights reserved.

PrivacyTermsCookiesSitemap
POLICYDRIFT
All news
Home/News/Sports
Sports
Aug 17, 2026, 9:31 AM·1 views

MSG Gets Major Win in Ninth Year of Charles Oakley Legal Battle

Charles Oakley’s longstanding lawsuit against Madison Square Garden over his alleged assault by security guards during a 2017 Knicks home game has been dismissed on summary judgment, although the former NBA power…

PolicyDriftMSG Gets Major Win in Ninth Year of Charles Oakley Legal Battle

Charles Oakley’s longstanding lawsuit against Madison Square Garden over his alleged assault by security guards during a 2017 Knicks home game has been dismissed on summary judgment,.

Charles Oakley’s longstanding lawsuit against Madison Square Garden over his alleged assault by security guards during a 2017 Knicks home game has been dismissed on summary judgment, although the former NBA power forward’s attorneys intend to seek an “immediate jury trial.”

U.S. District Judge Richard J. Sullivan issued a 12-page ruling late Friday night, granting summary judgment in favor of MSG. The case was originally filed in September 2017, about seven months after Oakley was ejected from MSG during a game between the Knicks and Clippers. The longtime Knick claimed he was assaulted by security guards. 

Knicks owner James Dolan, who was sitting near Oakley during the incident, was originally named as a defendant when Oakley sued in 2017. Sullivan dismissed all claims against Dolan in 2020, and Oakley’s surviving assault and battery claims are against MSG and its related entities. 

Dolan briefly banned Oakley from the arena in 2017, but he retreated from the ban later that year, and Oakley has been permitted to attend games since. Oakley has refused to go to Knicks games at the Garden until Dolan apologizes.

According to the judge, new evidence that has been introduced—including videos, sworn declarations from eyewitnesses, and multiple depositions—confirms Oakley was not assaulted.

“Indeed, even though the alleged assault occurred in the middle of Madison Square Garden and in front of nineteen thousand fans and scores of video cameras, Oakley concedes that there is no other witness beside himself who says that he was pushed to the ground,” the judge wrote. 

“No rational jury could conclude that Oakley reasonably feared himself at risk of wrongful physical contact—let alone that MSG intended to stir such an apprehension,” the judge added.

MSG issued a statement applauding the ruling and threatening to sue Oakley’s lawyers. “For more than nine years, Mr. Oakley’s lawyers have pursued claims they knew were false,” the statement said. “Those claims have now been dismissed by the court in their entirety—for the third time,” it said, referring to Sullivan’s dismissal of Oakley’s original complaint in 2020, his 2021 summary judgment ruling in MSG’s favor, and Friday’s ruling. Oakley previously appealed those two Sullivan rulings to the Second Circuit. The appeals revived his assault and battery claims, which were sent back to federal court twice but have now been dismissed again.

 “We are pursuing legal action against Douglas Wigdor, and his unscrupulous law firm, to hold them accountable for years of frivolous litigation and their blatant abuse of the judicial system.”

The case is not technically closed, as two motions from Oakley remain pending. But Friday’s ruling is a big win for MSG on the primary claim in the lawsuit. 

Oakley’s attorneys told Front Office Sports in a statement Friday night that they are not done fighting. “We are disappointed with the Court’s rulings,” the statement said. “We believe there are conflicting accounts and only a jury can decide what exactly happened. We are hopeful that the Second Circuit will agree for a third time and remand the case for an immediate jury trial.”

The ruling represents the latest loss for Oakley in the case. Last October, he was ordered to pay Dolan’s company roughly $642,000 in attorney fees over the company’s quest to get Oakley’s deleted text messages. Oakley was scolded by the judge for not keeping text messages from the aftermath of his arena ejection.

The post MSG Gets Major Win in Ninth Year of Charles Oakley Legal Battle appeared first on Front Office Sports.

Sports Verified Source

Syndicated via official news feed

Read Full Story on Sports
Explore all Sports stories→

Syndicated feed content with full publisher credit.

Sports Desk

More in Sports

Continue reading verified coverage and related developments on this desk.

View All
PolicyDrift
SPORTS49M AGO

Kane first Englishman to win Germany's player of the year award

Harry Kane has been voted 2026 German footballer of the year, becoming the first Englishman to win the award.

PolicyDrift
SPORTS1H AGO

Holland leads Leics to win over Glamorgan

Skipper Ian Holland takes 5-19 as Leicestershire defeat Glamorgan by 42 runs in County Championship Division One.

PolicyDrift
SPORTS1H AGO

Kent boost promotion bid by beating Middlesex

Kent achieve their fifth Championship win of the season as they beat Middlesex by 46 runs at Merchant Taylors' School despite an unbeaten 65 by Joe Cracknell.

PolicyDrift
SPORTS2H AGO

Off The Ball with more petty and ill-informed football views

The most petty and ill-informed football show on radio.

PolicyDrift
SPORTS2H AGO

The maths whizz turned £86m teenage star heading to Man City

Manchester City have agreed a deal in principle with Lille to sign midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi - what makes him such a highly rated talent?

PolicyDrift
SPORTS2H AGO

Golf brand apologises for advert that shows woman being pushed over

Content creator Good Good apologises and removes an advert that shows a woman being pushed to the ground as she reached for a man's golf club.

More from Sports

Latest developments and reports from the desk

All stories →
PolicyDrift
SPORTS49M AGO

Kane first Englishman to win Germany's player of the year award

Harry Kane has been voted 2026 German footballer of the year, becoming the first Englishman to win the award.

PolicyDrift
SPORTS1H AGO

Holland leads Leics to win over Glamorgan

Skipper Ian Holland takes 5-19 as Leicestershire defeat Glamorgan by 42 runs in County Championship Division One.

PolicyDrift
SPORTS1H AGO

Kent boost promotion bid by beating Middlesex

Kent achieve their fifth Championship win of the season as they beat Middlesex by 46 runs at Merchant Taylors' School despite an unbeaten 65 by Joe Cracknell.

Trending Wire

Most read across all desks

See all
  1. 1
    Banking & Economics• Aug 21, 2026, 9:00 PM

    Bessent dissent

  2. 2
    Banking & Economics• Aug 21, 2026, 10:06 PM

    Trump Widens Beef Imports in Bid to Lower Prices

  3. 3
    Banking & Economics• Aug 21, 2026, 9:37 PM

    Peru GDP Grows a Bit Faster Than Expected in Boost for Fujimori

  4. 4
    India• Aug 19, 2026, 12:16 PM

    Have proof of corruption in erstwhile DMK government, will reveal it when necessary: CM Vijay

  5. 5
    India• Aug 19, 2026, 12:16 PM

    U.S. aircraft and Trump’s Ankara visit | Explained

Breaking desk

Live flash reports elsewhere

  1. BreakingNewcastle United v Liverpool: Premier League – live

    Aug 23, 2026, 8:06 PM · 7 views

  2. BreakingEuropean football: Bayern Munich’s Harry Kane named player of the year in Germany

    Aug 23, 2026, 7:42 PM · 12 views

  3. BreakingLe Court claims Tour of Britain glory despite Wiebes’s fourth stage win in five

    Aug 23, 2026, 7:41 PM · 12 views

  4. BreakingAn AI ‘debt bomb’ crisis? No. This isn’t Enron 2.0 | Gene Marks

    Aug 23, 2026, 7:30 PM · 16 views

  5. Breaking‘I love it. It’s hope’: the mysterious self-willed wildflower meadow that seeded itself

    Aug 23, 2026, 7:30 PM · 16 views

  6. BreakingAs You Like It review – French aristocratic trappings bring fresh comedy to Arden

    Aug 23, 2026, 7:23 PM · 12 views

All breaking news →