
Red Sox President Makes Definitive John Henry Ownership Declaration originally appeared on NESN. Add NESN as a Preferred Source by clicking here.
The questions surrounding John Henry’s future as owner of the Boston Red Sox apparently have a very simple answer. He is not going anywhere.
Red Sox president and CEO Sam Kennedy delivered an unusually definitive declaration Thursday morning when asked about the possibility of Henry and his family eventually selling the franchise.
“John Henry, Linda Henry, the Henry family, are never selling the Boston Red Sox,” Kennedy said during an appearance on WEEI’s “The Greg Hill Show.” “And that’s a sound bite you can play forevermore. I’d bet anything on that.”
Members of the organization have previously pushed back against sale speculation, but Kennedy’s response represented one of the strongest public statements yet regarding the franchise’s long-term future.
Red Sox Remain Central To Henry Family’s Plans
Questions about Henry’s commitment to the Red Sox have lingered as Fenway Sports Group expanded its portfolio beyond baseball. FSG owns Liverpool Football Club and Boston Common Golf, among other investments. The company also recently completed the sale of the Pittsburgh Penguins.
"John Henry, Linda Henry, Henry family, are never selling the Boston Red Sox. And that’s a sound bite you can play forevermore, I’d bet anything on that.”
— Gordo (@BOSSportsGordo) August 13, 2026
- Sam Kennedy this morning on @TheGregHillShow // @WEEIpic.twitter.com/kIvARBFa4F
Henry’s limited availability to Boston reporters and his occasional absence from Fenway Park have only added to the speculation. However, he has appeared around the ballpark more frequently in recent weeks. Kennedy made it clear that the organization’s expanding business interests should not be interpreted as preparation for an eventual Red Sox sale.
“Inside of Fenway Sports Group, we have 25, 30 investors of all types, all different types,” Kennedy said. “But John and Linda Henry, Tom Werner, Mike Gordon are the investors and owners of the club that run the club, and that has been consistent for 25 years.”
Kennedy added that he expects the current arrangement to continue for at least another 25 years, “if not longer.”
The Henry-led ownership group purchased the Red Sox in 2002 and has overseen the most successful period in the franchise’s modern history. Boston won World Series championships in 2004, 2007, 2013 and 2018 after going 86 years without a title.
That success has not eliminated criticism of the ownership group. Fans have questioned the organization’s spending and direction at different points in recent seasons, particularly following the trade of Mookie Betts and several years without a deep postseason run.
MORE: Red Sox Losing Streak Hits Five After Late Collapse Vs. Blue Jays
Red Sox Value Continues To Climb
The potential sale price also has become a natural topic as professional sports franchises reach unprecedented valuations. Sportico estimated the Red Sox to be worth $6.65 billion earlier in 2026. A sale potentially could command an even larger figure considering the franchise’s history, market and ownership of Fenway Park.
Kennedy said that growing valuation does not matter to the Henry family.
“It doesn’t matter, and I mean that sincerely,” Kennedy said.
Kennedy also was asked about the New York Yankees’ reported $2.6 billion financing agreement with Apollo Sports Capital and whether the Red Sox could consider a similar arrangement. He dismissed that possibility as something the organization is not currently focused on. Instead, Kennedy said the club’s attention is on its immediate problems on the field. Boston entered Thursday trying to recover after five consecutive losses erased some of the momentum created by its second-half surge.
The Red Sox still have plenty to resolve concerning the present season. According to Kennedy, however, there is no uncertainty at the very top of the organization.
Henry and his family intend to retain ownership of the Red Sox for a long time.