FILE PHOTO - Cologne's Said El Mala sits on the bench during the German Bundesliga soccer match between FC Augsburg and 1. FC Cologne at WWK-Arena. Harry Langer/dpa Borussia Dortmund are abandoning the race to sign Cologne forward Said El Mala, according to several media reports on Friday. Broadcasters Sky said the club has decided to give up signing the player, while the Funke media group quoted managing director of sport Lars Ricken as saying: "Said El Mala is not a Borussia Dortmund player and won't become one this summer." "We have held frank discussions with Cologne officials over the past few days, but they have rejected our latest offer. Borussia Dortmund will not submit another offer and will not pursue a transfer for the player any further," Ricken added. Cologne reportedly demanding €50 million ($57.7 million) for the player, who has a contract until 2030. Following what were lower offers earlier on, Dortmund made a final offer this week reportedly totalling around €50 million, including all bonuses. El Mala had his breakthrough in the past season, with 13 goals and five assists in 34 Bundesliga games, and generated big interest from other clubs.
