
After Sophie Cunningham took a stand against trans women competing in women’s sports last month, a furious debate has ignited around the country regarding whether or not transgender women and girls have a place in women’s sports. A French transgender basketball player has found herself at the center of that debate.
Earlier this month, videos of French transgender basketball player Julien Tetart began to surface, with some speculating that she could try to play in the WNBA, given her apparent dominance in a second-tier league in France. However, it does not sound like that’s going to happen.
‘I wouldn’t say no’
Tetart currently plays for Monaco Basket Association in France’s Ligue Féminine 2, where she led the league in both scoring and rebounding, averaging 21.2 points and 20.2 rebounds per game during the 2025–26.
Given her apparent dominance in France, she was asked whether or not she would consider playing in the WNBA. While she didn’t rule it out, she also didn’t seem to think it was a real possibility.
“If they contact me, I won’t say no,” the 34-year-old said earlier this month. “But you have to be realistic: I’m old, and there are far better players than me!”
“Obviously, it’s a childhood dream just like for any female basketball player, but unfortunately, it’s not possible,” she added, but conceded it may not be possible.
“The league, yes. The country, no, [laughing],” referring to the harsh anti-trans policies United States President Donald Trump’s administration has supported.
No Attempt to Play in WNBA
Despite claiming that she “won’t say no” if she was asked to join the league, it does not sound like that’s something that Tetart is pursuing.
On Thursday, Marc Lamont Hill of BET News reported that Tetart is not attempting to pursue a WNBA career, despite a surge in media attention this month. Hill says he confirmed this with her personally.
“I said no trans woman is currently trying to play in the WNBA,” Hill wrote in a post on X, responding to someone claiming his reporting was incorrect. “Julie Tetart is not. All she did was respond a direct message sent to her by outkick magazine. I followed up on that message with her directly, BEFORE the show. She reiterated to me personally that she is/was not trying to play in the WNBA. No part of her story contradicts what I said. OTHER people are asking if she can play. Shes not. My research does not begin and end with hasty Google searches and AI queries.”
Needless to say, it sounds like all that conversation was for nothing.
The post Transgender basketball star makes decision on WNBA appeared first on The Comeback: Today’s Top Sports Stories & Reactions.