PolicyDrift
City—°AQI —
Trending India
BreakingWorld NewsIndiaSportsBusinessBanking & EconomicsPoliticsMarketsCrypto

Top movers

Live 24/7 Policy Wire

Real-time policy intelligence, without the noise.

Continuous verified updates spanning geopolitics, regulation, and live markets.

Open Live WireTrending Desk
PolicyDrift

Clear, verified reporting. Every report links directly to primary sources.

8 Desks OperationalLive

Global Coverage Desks

BreakingWorld NewsIndiaSportsBusinessBanking & EconomicsPoliticsMarketsCrypto

Platform

  • Global Wire
  • Trending Desk
  • Newsroom Mission
  • Editorial Contact
  • Sitemap

Standards & Legal

  • Editorial Standards
  • Privacy Standards
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Settings

© 2026 PolicyDrift. All rights reserved.

PrivacyTermsCookiesSitemap
POLICYDRIFT
All news
Home/News/Sports
Sports
Aug 19, 2026, 9:01 AM·1 views

Uefa vice-president says Fifa sacking Gianni Infantino critic sends ‘deeply troubling message’

The dismissal of chief operating officer Kevin Lamour by Fifa sends a deeply troubling message to all of us seeking change , according to Uefa vice-president Laura McAllister. On Monday evening, world football’s…

PolicyDriftUefa vice-president says Fifa sacking Gianni Infantino critic sends ‘deeply troubling message’

The dismissal of chief operating officer Kevin Lamour by Fifa sends a deeply troubling message to all of us seeking change , according to Uefa vice-president Laura McAllister. On Monday.

The dismissal of chief operating officer Kevin Lamour by Fifa sends a "deeply troubling message to all of us seeking change", according to Uefa vice-president Laura McAllister. On Monday evening, world football’s governing body confirmed Lamour’s exit, coming just over two weeks after he told the Associated Press that the Fifa administration was "deceived" by president Gianni Infantino regarding a proposal to sell shares in a World Cup entity to private investors. Lamour’s public statement on 31 July, alongside the resignation of senior adviser Carlos Cordeiro earlier that day, placed Infantino under severe pressure, with Lamour labelling the private investment initiative as "the project of one person". McAllister, a former Wales captain and current Uefa executive committee member who previously worked alongside Lamour when he served as deputy general secretary at the European governing body, has now voiced strong criticism of his sacking. "I know Kevin Lamour to be an honourable and exemplary sports leader who was a trusted colleague of mine when I was first elected to Uefa Ex Co," McAllister said in a statement. "Kevin is not only a deeply principled leader who cares passionately for football, but a brave advocate for the values that should underpin all we do as custodians of our game. "During the shabby events of the past weeks, he showed himself to be a courageous advocate for the most important stakeholders in football. McAllister has hit out at Fifa for sacking Lamour (PA Wire) "Having worked with Kevin, I know that his leadership always operates on principles of respect, independence, transparency and sound governance. "Kevin’s sacking seriously weakens Fifa’s administration, whilst undermining this unique opportunity to shift the culture at Fifa and to reset the organisation on sporting values, not simply commercial and financial ones. Fifa is not the president, it is the whole football family. "As I have said repeatedly, world football needs strong, principled, independent leaders who are prepared to speak up, challenge when necessary, and stand firmly by their values and those of the global game. "Instead, the loss of a leader of Kevin’s calibre sends a deeply troubling message to all of us seeking change." Lamour did not attend the Fifa management board meeting in Morocco on 5 August, where the board announced its "full support" for Infantino. Uefa, alongside Concacaf and the Asian Football Confederation (AFC), accused Infantino of "deception" concerning the private investment strategy in an open letter published last week. The authors of the letter – including confederation presidents Aleksander Ceferin, Sheikh Salman Bin Ibrahim Al Khalifa and Victor Montagliani – wish for Infantino to take the opportunity to resign and vacate his role with dignity, the Press Association understands. A series of Uefa member associations have withdrawn their endorsement for Infantino’s re-election campaign ahead of next year’s Congress, with Israel becoming the latest body to pull its support on Tuesday. Moshe Zuares, president of the Israel FA, wrote that recent developments had caused "an unprecedented crisis of trust", adding: "The divide between the parties appears profound, substantive, and principled, compelling all stakeholders to reconsider the path forward. Gianni Infantino was criticised by Lamour just two weeks ago (PA Wire) "In the circumstances that have arisen, we have no choice but to retract our previous letter of support, in the sincere hope that fruitful dialogue among all parties will eventually restore a shared, proper vision and direction for world football." Infantino’s concept to create a new entity, Fifa Forward Enterprise (FFE), to manage commercial and operational arms of its competitions, including the men’s and women’s World Cups, was first reported by The Times and the Financial Times on 28 July. Fifa confirmed details of the scheme later that day, including plans to offload a minority stake in FFE to private financiers. The governing body stated that Thrive Eternal, a business established by Joshua Kushner – brother of United States President Donald Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner – would head the investor group. Infantino ultimately withdrew the plan, yet Uefa maintains its threat to boycott Fifa tournaments, originally made while the FFE project was active. The next Fifa event since the men’s World Cup is the Under-20 Women’s World Cup in Poland, starting next month. While Fifa’s 5 August statement backing Infantino included a promise to review the procedures surrounding the FFE proposal, almost two weeks after that announcement, the organisation has not confirmed who will conduct the review.

Sports Verified Source

Syndicated via official news feed

Read Full Story on Sports
Explore all Sports stories→

Syndicated feed content with full publisher credit.

Sports Desk

More in Sports

Continue reading verified coverage and related developments on this desk.

View All
PolicyDrift
SPORTS55M AGO

Kane first Englishman to win Germany's player of the year award

Harry Kane has been voted 2026 German footballer of the year, becoming the first Englishman to win the award.

PolicyDrift
SPORTS1H AGO

Holland leads Leics to win over Glamorgan

Skipper Ian Holland takes 5-19 as Leicestershire defeat Glamorgan by 42 runs in County Championship Division One.

PolicyDrift
SPORTS2H AGO

Kent boost promotion bid by beating Middlesex

Kent achieve their fifth Championship win of the season as they beat Middlesex by 46 runs at Merchant Taylors' School despite an unbeaten 65 by Joe Cracknell.

PolicyDrift
SPORTS2H AGO

Off The Ball with more petty and ill-informed football views

The most petty and ill-informed football show on radio.

PolicyDrift
SPORTS2H AGO

The maths whizz turned £86m teenage star heading to Man City

Manchester City have agreed a deal in principle with Lille to sign midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi - what makes him such a highly rated talent?

PolicyDrift
SPORTS2H AGO

Golf brand apologises for advert that shows woman being pushed over

Content creator Good Good apologises and removes an advert that shows a woman being pushed to the ground as she reached for a man's golf club.

More from Sports

Latest developments and reports from the desk

All stories →
PolicyDrift
SPORTS55M AGO

Kane first Englishman to win Germany's player of the year award

Harry Kane has been voted 2026 German footballer of the year, becoming the first Englishman to win the award.

PolicyDrift
SPORTS1H AGO

Holland leads Leics to win over Glamorgan

Skipper Ian Holland takes 5-19 as Leicestershire defeat Glamorgan by 42 runs in County Championship Division One.

PolicyDrift
SPORTS2H AGO

Kent boost promotion bid by beating Middlesex

Kent achieve their fifth Championship win of the season as they beat Middlesex by 46 runs at Merchant Taylors' School despite an unbeaten 65 by Joe Cracknell.

Trending Wire

Most read across all desks

See all
  1. 1
    Banking & Economics• Aug 21, 2026, 9:00 PM

    Bessent dissent

  2. 2
    Banking & Economics• Aug 21, 2026, 10:06 PM

    Trump Widens Beef Imports in Bid to Lower Prices

  3. 3
    Banking & Economics• Aug 21, 2026, 9:37 PM

    Peru GDP Grows a Bit Faster Than Expected in Boost for Fujimori

  4. 4
    India• Aug 19, 2026, 12:16 PM

    Have proof of corruption in erstwhile DMK government, will reveal it when necessary: CM Vijay

  5. 5
    India• Aug 19, 2026, 12:16 PM

    U.S. aircraft and Trump’s Ankara visit | Explained

Breaking desk

Live flash reports elsewhere

  1. BreakingNewcastle United v Liverpool: Premier League – live

    Aug 23, 2026, 8:06 PM · 9 views

  2. BreakingEuropean football: Bayern Munich’s Harry Kane named player of the year in Germany

    Aug 23, 2026, 7:42 PM · 14 views

  3. BreakingLe Court claims Tour of Britain glory despite Wiebes’s fourth stage win in five

    Aug 23, 2026, 7:41 PM · 14 views

  4. BreakingAn AI ‘debt bomb’ crisis? No. This isn’t Enron 2.0 | Gene Marks

    Aug 23, 2026, 7:30 PM · 18 views

  5. Breaking‘I love it. It’s hope’: the mysterious self-willed wildflower meadow that seeded itself

    Aug 23, 2026, 7:30 PM · 18 views

  6. BreakingAs You Like It review – French aristocratic trappings bring fresh comedy to Arden

    Aug 23, 2026, 7:23 PM · 14 views

All breaking news →